No matter where you are in the world, there would be rodents invading your home. They will enter your home searching for food and shelter, especially during the winter season. These pest animals are difficult to deal with because they can enter through very tiny spaces.
For your information, rodents have teeth that never stop growing so they need to gnaw on hard substances such as wood in order to wear their pearly whites down. There are several types of rodents that you might encounter in your home. Here is the list of the most common types of rodents invading homes based on pest control websites.
– Brown Rat
One of the most common rodents that invade your home is the brown rat, which is larger than mice and other types of rodents. They can grow up to 15 inches in length, excluding their tail. Their tails are usually around 8 inches long. They have brown fur and a lighter tone of the same colour under their belly.
– Roof Rat
Another type of rodent that invades homes is the roof rat, which has a bit similar characteristic to the brown rat in terms of both size and appearance. The distinction between these two types of pest animals is easy to see when you look at their tails. While brown rat has a fat tail, roof rat has a longer and thinner tail. They often invade homes when they are in search of food in your pantry.
– House Mouse
House mouse is another pest animal that’s found its way into many homes. These rodents are very tiny, with an average length of 6cm and a tail of 4 cm. They have grey fur on their back, while they have a white belly.
Common Pest Control in Your Home
Many pest control companies come up with various methods to deal with these pest animals. For example, pest control professionals will often use special chemicals to lure the rodents into leaving your home. When you’re pestered by rodents, do not hesitate to contact a pest control professional immediately. If you are hesitant, feel free to ask for pest control Sunshine Coast prices from various companies to see which one can provide you with the best deal for their service.
So how do you prevent these rodents from invading your home?
One of the most effective methods to prevent any form of rodent invasion into your home is to practice housekeeping regularly. Eliminate all traces of food inside and outside your home to ensure pests won’t have anything to eat. Clean up the state of your garden regularly, including the fallen leaves and cracked nuts on the ground that could be a source of food for these animals. Here are more tips:
- Keep all doors and windows closed tightly every time you leave your house. Rodents can easily enter even when slightly opened because their bodies are very flexible.
- If you have a basement or a garden shed, make sure that it’s pest proofed. Use metal screens to cover the ventilation system and apply pest control treatment regularly to prevent pest animals from taking shelter there.
- When bringing food to your house, make sure to use disposable plates and utensils. If you feel pest animals are invading your home, clean up all traces of food around the house right away.
- Hire a pest management professional if you can’t get rid of these pest animals yourself after following the steps above. Also, contact pest management professionals immediately when noticing any presence of rodents.
- If the infestation has been neglected for a long time, you should prepare yourself to spend more cash on the treatment. Sometimes, rodenticide is inevitable to eliminate any future infestation.
Pests won’t be your problem if you follow the steps above regularly and contact pest control professionals immediately when noticing any presence of rodents. It is the best way to keep your home pest-free.